Friday, January 6, 2017

Day 15, Thursday 9/1/2014, Bruny Island to Tasman Peninsula

The most perfect weather yet. Blue sky, sunshine and no wind. It's supposed to get to 25 degrees C today. Great for packing up but sad to leave our beautiful private beach campsite on Bruny. Thanks Phil, and thanks Leah (for finding it). Off to the Tasman Peninsula. Everyone was packed up on time. Well done all, should easily get the 1000hrs ferry.

Got to the ferry at 0900hrs to see it on it's way in. Grabbed a quick coffee from the kiosk, drinking it in the car line up. I ran back to the kiosk again with minutes to spare to buy the "Bruny Island Food and Recipe" book, one each for Leah and Fiona as thanks for arranging the trip and itinerary. I jumped into our car as it passed the kiosk. Then it was time for a grocery top up at Coles, and back to Salamanca markets where I jumped out to get more possum socks, then into Katmandu to get a jacket I had really wanted. It was the last one left, on the clearance rack for $25 and in my size. Yes!

Heading east to Sorrell fruit farm next across the Tasman Bridge. You pay for a certain sized tub and just go for it out in the fields, picking fruit. It was now 25 degrees with no wind and felt quite hot hiking through the fields. We were all scouring the fruit trees while Jordan and Bruce waited at the cafe.









After a leisurely lunch at the cafe we pushed on SE to the Tasman Peninsula, arriving at our campground at about 1530hrs. We set up quickly, then took the kayaks down for the teenagers to have a play. Jack in Col's, Jordan in mine and Jess in Fiona's. They went off to check out a couple of little islands and then rafted up to do photos. They did really well.









Next Bruce and I took Gary out after a bit of convincing. Col was working (he brought his computer), Leah was clothes washing and Fiona was minding Eliza and Amara. We took him around the islands where we saw cormorants and gulls with chicks. He found it was much easier than he had expected. Leah soon joined Fiona on the beach, but didn't want a paddle. It's a beautiful, well protected little bay "White Beach".

After dinner drinks in our camp. Everyone is getting excited about the boat trip tomorrow. I've also now booked the ghost tour for tomorrow night for Parkes and Williams. The Morgan kids are too young. I gave them their books and then everyone went to bed while I stayed up pottering until 2300hrs.


I had washing to do then headed down to the beach to play with night photography. I was desperate to see the Southern lights which are meant to be spectacular in the next two days. While setting up my camera on the beach I heard a couple talking. He said "I'm not sure, I think it's a kangaroo". Next second I'm under a spotlight and the 'kangaroo' is waving back at the couple.
The beach faces west so I went to the playground to check from there. No lights. All I found was a rabbit which I chased and almost caught as he suddenly decided to play dead.

No comments: