Sunday, January 8, 2017

Day 17, Saturday 11/1/2014, Tasman Peninsula

Another glorious 30 degree day (with a lovely cool breeze). After a bit of a sleep-in, we spent 6hrs exploring Port Arthur. Mind blowing history at its finest. Eliza and Amara did well to cope with this. They had fun doing their cards (exploring a historical person), hugging everyone and exploring the ruins.




















Our day included a little cruise and talk on the Isle of the Dead. This was a highlight as the guide was so animated, funny and informative. The saddest part for me was visiting the memorial for the victims of the massacre. I couldn't help but cry.

Morgans hadn't eaten much that day so they went straight to the Tavern near our camp for an early dinner. Williams and Parkes went to Remarkable Cave to hike down into the cave, although our teenagers bailed and went back to camp. The cave really is remarkable! Fiona and I had fun with our cameras with Col and Bruce as gorgeous models.



Needed to stop at IGA on the way back to grab a couple of things. I was totally jealous of the Morgans eating out as I was too exhausted to cook, but our food will go bad if I don't. I had some fresh salmon pate from Bruny with some Tassie wine to ease the burden and Col helped by BBQ-ing the meat.

Jordan came for a little walk onto the beach with me for sunset photos which was wonderful. I made her model for me and she had me cry-laughing when I attempted a massive close-up.



After tea, Leah, Gary, Eliza, Amara, Fiona, Bruce and I all went back to the lookout to search for the aurora. Not even a glimpse of it the the perfectly clear sky. Maybe last night was our only (missed) opportunity. There were some lovely photos taken regardless, and Eliza and Amara enjoyed modelling for Leah's ghost photo.


No comments: